Tuesday 11 March 2014

5th commandment -DO NOT KILL

Fifth Commandment: Do Not Kill (Catholic)Exodus 20:13


Human life is Sacred because from its beginning it involves the creative action of God and it remains for ever in a special relationship with the Creator, who is its sole end. God alone is the Lord of life from its beginning until its end: no one can under any circumstance claim for himself the right directly to destroy an innocent human being."
Do I love life in all its forms?
Do I hate someone or harbored hatred in my heart?
Did I have a fight, or try to hurt someone?
Have I hurt someone’s reputation by saying mean things about them?
Do I fail to control my anger or my temper?
Am I purposely mean? Do I say things to hurt people?
Do I fail to help others when they need help?
Do I fail to love my neighbor?
Have I physically harmed anyone?
Have I abused alcohol or drugs?
Did I give scandal to anyone, thereby leading them into sin?
Have I been angry or resentful?
Have I mutilated myself through any form of sterilization?
Have I knowingly caused others to sin?




What does the fifth commandment forbid?


The fifth commandment forbids murder and suicide, and also fighting, anger, hatred, revenge, drunkenness, recklessly endangering our health, mutilation, using harmful drugs, and bad example.


Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception. CCC 2270



"All who hate a brother or sister are murderers, and you know that murderers do not have eternal life abiding in them.” [1 Jn. 3:15]

“You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not murder’; and 'whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment." [Mt. 5:21-2] (C.C.C. # 2054)

When is it permitted to take the life of another person?
  1. If lawful authority commands it in punishment for graves crimes. Although statistics have proven that the application of the death penalty does not serve as a deterrent to crimes.
  2. In a just war. A "just war" is normally viewed as defending one's nation against an invasion. Invading another nation is rarely considered as a "just war."
  3. In self-defense in order to save one’s life, or to save the life of another who is unjustly attacked.

Is it permitted to take one’s own life?
No. Suicide is a grave sin. We have no dominion over our own life.

What is forbidden by this Commandment?
1. It is forbidden unjustly to take the life of a human being.

2. It is forbidden to take the life of an unborn child.

Intentional euthanasia, whatever its forms or motives, is murder. It is gravely contrary to the dignity of the human person and to the respect due to the living God, his Creator. (C.C.C. # 2324)




No comments:

Post a Comment